Re: GWorkspace porting troubles

From: LHelldorf
Subject: Re: GWorkspace porting troubles
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 22:31:25 +0100

>Hi,
>
>First, I'd just like to say that I'm glad you're taking this
>initiative ! Now, I had to abandon my linux-GNUstep box to one of my
>employees, so I'm working only on OSX now. Hence, I'm not quite sure
>what GWorkspace is anymore... Is it the "Configuration" thing that lets
>you choose the colors of your windows, and so forth ? What's the
>relation of it with the Finder and WindowMaker ?

GWorkspace is the graphical shell of GNUstep, the thing where you can
browse all your files, start Apps etc. The equivalent on Mac OS X is the
Finder, written in Carbon (overhauled Mac OS Toolbox written in C) which I
consider ugly.

>Now, I don't know if it really makes sense to make competition to
>Apple's Finder... Anyway, what I think is missing in GNUstep is Apple's

Given the rapid development possibilities GNUstep/Cocoa offers I think
that's not to far off. At least if enough developers join the project.

>"System Preferences". They have indeed an objc class, NSPreferencePane,
>that developers subclass to implement a new System Preferences item.
>Very handy ! I doubt GNUstep has such a mechanism and IMHO GNUstep is
>better off playing with Apple rather than against her. If GWorkspace is
>meant to configure options, I think it would be better to work on
>compatibility issues with Apple's "System Preferences" mechanism.
>
>I don't know, but I think the RETAIN, ASSIGN,... macros are there to
>make garbage collection possible, and I don't think Apple's in the same
>mindset as the GNUstep people regarding this issue. I would consider it
>inessential for existing apps that are anyway designed to not take
>advantage of GC. Therefore, I would rather patch GWorkspace so it
>doesn't use Macros, but that might well be a lot of work, I don't
>know... Or maybe you could write a quick hack that does this
>automatically...

I hope I can handle this by defining the missing macros in a headerfile
(like some others suggested). Another idea (from Dirk
d.theisen@objectpark.de)is to create a GNUstepExtension.Framework for Mac
OS X. I'll write another mail on this topic.

>Others are talking about the setup mechanisms for the various Linux
>distributions on another thread at this moment. I think this *is* an
>issue indeed, and that at least the *step people should agree on a
>common policy. Offering developers a common harmonized way to use the
>defaults system is a first step in the right direction, IMHO.
>
>Please tell me what you think,
>
>Aurélien

Greetings, Lars