Re: Trouble building GNUstep CVS

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Trouble building GNUstep CVS
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 06:01:33 +0100

On Saturday, September 22, 2001, at 05:36 AM, Jason Clouse wrote:

<<Ah - that might be the problem - I don't think RedHat 7.1 ships with an official release of gcc, but rather with their own broken variant, which I
think they call 2.96.  You need to install a real (official and working)
gcc, either gcc 2.95.x or gcc 3.0.x, otherwise it won't work.  After
installing a working compiler, make distclean everywhere, reconfigure, and
rebuild.>>

I had assumed, somewhat optomistically, that Red Hat had fixed that problem
between 7.0 and 7.1.  I was wrong.

At any rate, I tried using 3.0.1 and I'm still having the same problem.
Don't know what to do.

I think you are almost certainly picking up another shared libobjc that you don't want. My suggestion is that you search the disk(s) for libobjc files and delete or rename them all. Then, with just the gcc-3 version still on
your system, go through a make disctlean, configure, make cycle with your
gnustep-make and gnustep-base.