Re: FYI: GIMP Cocoa

From: Samuel Heriard Dubreuil
Subject: Re: FYI: GIMP Cocoa
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:11:15 +0200

> >http://www.macgimp.org/article.php?sid=37&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
> >
> >I think, if they are creating GIMP for Cocoa, it should not be difficult to
> >have it also on GNUstep. This can be a good 'magnet' for new people.
> >
> >Stefan
> >

> Perhaps you should actually look at the GIMP source code before creating
> excitement and anticipation (which as an OS X user, I have absolutely none
> here).
>
> GIMP, much like GTK, is designed from top to bottom to be used in X11. It's
> not designed in a manner which lends itself to be written as a Cocoa
> application so it will use Cocoa classes to do its user interface elements,
> or its graphics display, or its printing, or frankly anything without a
> complete rewrite (at which point I have to ask what the bloomin point would
> be).
>
> It is what it is, an X11 app with a horrid interface. macgimp.org has now
> even made THEMES for GIMP, woohoo! Now we can all PRETEND!
>
> Seriously now, if you think that the GIMP source lends itself to becoming a
> Cocoa app (and not just a cheesy front-end to avoid using the X11 display
> server in OS X) explain how that would be possible. Otherwise I think this
> subject is dead for all eternity.

I read an interview of the gimp authors ( I can't find the url again)
where they said exactly the the current source of gimp is too monolithic,
but that their goal for the next version was to separate the processing
functions from the UI to allow an easy integration in other projects (If I
remember, they want to make money with their work). So I think it's better
to wait for them to clean up their code than to try to do it without any
knowledge about this big piece of code.
After, one may want to create a cocoa image processing app using the
gimp kernel, with a nicer UI. I think it's really a beter approch than an
ugly cocoa wrapping arround a poor gtk interface.

--
Sam

PS :