Re: I'm confused

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: I'm confused
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:58:46 -0600

Xavier.Barrier@proxyware.fr wrote:
> However, GNUStep web site does point out that distribution is not stable on
> Windows using neither Cygwin nor MinGW.
>
> Speaking about MinGW, it does mention version GCC 2.95.2.
>
> When having a look to MinGW web site, reference is given about release 2.95.3
> due to an Obj-C port.

GNUstep on MingW is unstable in the sense that there are several
(potentially) important parts of the base library that don't work on
MinGW, and also there is no AppKit backend library for windows. It's
pretty stable on Cygwin now.

The ObjC compiler was dropped from Cygwin and Mingw for awhile, but with
some recent urging from Windows/ObjC enthusiasts, the MingW team made a
new release that includes the ObjC compiler (Thanks MingW guys!).

> Regarging deployement on Windows is ffcall available (we use massivly DO
> communication), and is AppKit planned any days using either DGS or any other
> system.

ffcall now works on both Cygwin and MingW (get the latest release from
ftp.gnustep.org).

There's been interest in getting AppKit for Windows working, but no one
has actually done it yet.