gdb and Objc shared library

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: gdb and Objc shared library
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:50:06 +0200

I'm having a bit of troubles with gdb... I'm writing an extension in
Objective C that I dynamically load into a Ruby interpreter. No matter
what I do when a seg fault happens and I'm asking gdb to show the stack
trace all symbols in my extension library show as ?? It looks like does
not see the symbol table of my ObjC shared library :-(

I tried compiling with debug=yes shared=no, etc. but to avail. And of
course when I run the nm utility on the shared library all symbols are
showing ok !! Anybody has an idea why is this happening?

One last thing: I'm using gdb 5.0 with Objc patch (don't know if it
makes a difference or not)

Thanks
Laurent