Re: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re:gnustep

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re:gnustep compared to other toolkits))
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:28:26 -0700

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 20:09:42 +0200
Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw@made-it.com> wrote:
[...]
> </marketingmode>

Hmm, are you in Marketing? ;-)

> And now back again to the subject: version numbers. I don't see any
> difficulty with different version numbers, but I do see difficulty
> with all the different naming conventions. Imagine you are new. You
> know linux a bit. You have seen GORM and KDE and you take a look at
> GNUstep, here we go: Foundation Kit, AppKit, LaunchPad, gnustep-base,
> gnustep-make, gnustep-gui, gnustep-xdps, gnustep-xgps and some are
> part of one and some are not.

Exactly. I agree with Nicola about version numbers - however, over
the last several months, I've heard lots of complaints about GNOME and
KDE, so I've been trying to draw some attention to GNUstep.
While most thought it a pretty cool idea, most got confused by the
installation steps, especially with respect to xdps and xgps and
version numbers in general.

For example, while kdebase and kdelib have each their own version
number, KDE itself as a whole has its own, KDE2. Same is probably
for GNOME.

Let's face it, users WANT to have ONE version number to identify a
product, not 5 different - as developers prefer.

--
Chris