Re: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re:gnustep

From: Robert E. Hartley
Subject: Re: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re:gnustep compared to other toolkits))
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 16:10:37 -0400

Interesting points about keeping it in two different parts.

We could go the other way, and make it a single consolidated thing whereby a
new user installs this monster sized GNU Step RPM file that gives them a NeXT
work alike environment from the window manager all the way down to the apps and
the dev tools like Gorm and the project manager.  At that point, everything
should just plain work, and all of the mess of choosing the right compiler,
setting up environment variables, and so on, should be kept behind the scenes.

We could even throw in something so that desktop icons and menus are converted
from KDE or whatever they are using, kind of the way Gnome attempts to make it
easy for users to  keep their KDE menus.

As adventurous as some people are, we cannot always count on them being keen to
fiddle around with administrative details when other environments make it easy
for them to get working from the get go.

If I wanted to sell people on a new environment, I would want them to simply be
able to either select the xStep environment at login, or be able to select a
fail safe login and the just type "step" when they get that first xterm.

Linux has been my system of choice since the early 90's, and GNU Step is
probably the most exciting thing I have seen in years.

I think GNU Step is getting very close to the point where it is not just for
connoisseurs.  Once it is there, we will have a Linux environment that even Mac
aficionados like my Mother would love,

Robert

"Mondragon, Ian" wrote:

> i think mr. leeuw is very correct in this.  granted, this is not as simple a
> task to do as it is to talk about, but having the organization broken into 2
> main components such as this would be highly benificial, and would most
> likely clear up alot of confusion.
>
> - ian mondragon

=  Robert Hartley                 Mail:         201 Broadway        =
=  Central Region Systems Engineer              Cambridge, MA 02139 =
=  Integrated Computer            Email:        rhartley@ics.com    =
=  Solutions, Inc.                Web Site:     www.ics.com         =
=  Tech Support: support@ics.com  Phone:        800-800-4271        =

Visit the MotifZone (www.motifzone.org) for info on Motif!