Re: GNUstep version number(s)

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GNUstep version number(s)
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 12:00:06 -0600

"Chris B. Vetter" wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:43:15 +0100 (BST)
> Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> > in brief - the concept for the masses is -
> > the gnustep gui stuff will rock and kick asses when finished; but the
> > gnustep non-gui stuff rocks and kicks asses *ALREADY* *NOW*.
> > to bring this concept forward, we need to have clearly different release
> > numbers between gui and non-gui stuff.
>
> You are absolutely right, and I agree - but it's a pain in the ... to
> explain people what GNUstep is, what it does, WHY there are several
> parts and packages with different versions - if, in the end, they will
> ask something like "cool stuff, so tell me, which version should I get"
> *sigh*

It might be useful to put together a bundle of packages (including
libraries, applications, etc), that we know all work together, and call
it GNUSTEP_VERSION X.X (i.e. a marketing version)

Companies that distribute entire OSs (Apple, Microsoft, etc) have an
advantage here because they can test all the components together,
distribute the entire thing and know that it is going to work on
anyone's system.