Best HW to run NextStep?

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Best HW to run NextStep?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:35:05 +0200

I'm becoming more and more addicted to the Objective C/ GNUstep
environment and I must confess that I completely miss this part of the
computer industry history where NEXTstep was full of promises and then
the period when OpenStep was developed by Apple and Sun.

Anyway I'd like to run the NeXTstep OS again on some sort of hardware
just to get a flavor of what the original was. What's the best solution
for that:

A - Find a NeXT station (cube or pizzabox) that still works. Is this
reasonable? What version of NeXTstep runs in these machines?

B - While visited the Apple site I realized that NeXTstep (actually
OpenStep I guess) was ported to Sun SPARC platforms and also to Intel
platforms. The hardware seems to be easy to find but I have several
questions on that:
  B.1 - Can the Intel or Sparc version be considered as "compliant" with
the original flavor?
  B.2 - Where can I find (CD/download) the NeXTstep OS for these
machines?

Another point where I'm not clear at all is whether NeXTstep ran on
Macintosh machines at some point or was it just the aborted Rhapsody
project?

Thanks for all your help.

Laurent