Chinese support (Multi-bytes)

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Chinese support (Multi-bytes)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:47:20 -0400

  I test the GNUstep of supporting Chinese character.
  Actually GNUstep handle these multi-bytes character very well,
  but not display properly in graphic model (gnustep-gui).
  Xlib support multi-bytes character display,
  but use different function call.
  For examples:

 Single-byte Function   Multi-bytes Function
  XQueryFont                  XFontSet
  XLoadFont                   (XFontSet support two fonts)

  XDrawString                 XmbDrawString
  XDrawImageString     XmbDrawImageString
  XDrawText                    XmbDrawText

  So could GNUstep use these Multi-bytes function instead of single-byte
function?
  If I want to test whether simply exchanging these functions makes GNUstep
display
  multi-bytes character properly, where should I start ?
  Only x/gps is enough ? Or AppKit, x/dps, DPS included ?

  Xwindow also support XIM, which let people input multi-bytes character
such as
  Chinese, Japanese, etc.
  It is another task and I think it won't have high priority.
  But if GNUstep can support XIM, that would be great!

  GNOME/GTK and KDE/Qt have already support these multi-bytes character,
  and so does WindowMaker.
  (At least for display)
  If GNUstep can support, it will extend it's user range.

  Yen-Ju