Re: Frame Buffer Back End?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Frame Buffer Back End?
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 20:57:40 +0200 (CEST)

"Chad Hardin" <cehardin@cox-internet.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>   Has the idea of a linux framebuffer back-end been discussed?

I don't know if it has been discussed, but here what I think about it:

   - it would need a good  DPS implementation. When xdps will approach
     release  1.0, it  could  be  interesting to  go  directly to  the
     framebuffer.

   - we would gain a pure OpenStep/DPS environment.

   - it would run without a X window manager which would be positive.

   - we would  lose the ability  to run X applications,  therefore, it
     could   be  interesting   only  when   we  have   enough  GNUstep
     applications.

   - it would be  faster than DPS/X, but we would  lose the ability to
     run the GNUstep  applications thru the network, or  we would need
     to re-implement this feature.

I too would like to see a GNUstep/DPS/framebuffer, but right now, this
would not be practical for the lack of applications.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around