Re: GNUstep-base on Darwin

From: LHelldorf
Subject: Re: GNUstep-base on Darwin
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:45:34 +0200

Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com>
24.04.2001 23:22

        To:     LHelldorf@kabel.de
        cc:     Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com>, discuss-gnustep@gnu.org

>LHelldorf@kabel.de wrote:
>>
>> I looked into
>> /usr/include/
>> which links to
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/System.framework/Headers/bsd
>> which links to
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/System.framework/Versions/B/Headers/bsd
>> and in
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/System.framework/Versions/B/Headers/objc
>> but found no occurrence of "TypedStream".
>> Then I looked in objc just for "Stream" and found the following:
>
>These pathnames are only present in OS X PBeta systems and earlier.
>PLEASE upgrade to OS X final!  You're going to waste a lot of
>people's time as they try to chase down problems in prerelease
>software.  One of the big changes we made was to flush all the
>"System framework headers" and just have everything be in
>/usr/include directly, like every other Unix-based system.
>
>From a cursory examination, it looks like the objc-gnu2next.h
>stuff is not appropriate for OS X, since all the NX* functions
>are gone from OS X headers.
>
>Stan

Yes, I run Darwin 1.2.1 because I have to use a PM 8600/250. I already
tried to upgrade to Darwin 1.3.1. So I downloaded the installer from
Apple, trashed the previously installed Darwin 1.2.1 and put Darwin 1.3.1
on that partition. But I wasn't able to get this thing to boot. I tried
different ways to achive that goal (I used for instance Startup Disk 9.2.1
(from Darwin 1.3.1), System Disk (version 2.6.2 downloaded from Apple as
version 3.3), System Disk 3.1 (from Darwin 1.2.1) with different results
(from absolutely nothing (just OS 9 rebooting) over Open Firmware prompts
to unability to boot at all - Command-Option-P-R)). I have asked Questions
about this on darwinos-users@lists.apple.com and (as I got no answer
there) on darwin-development@lists.apple.com: again no answers. So I have
to wait for a possible working Update (maybe Darwin 1.3.2) and to use
until then Darwin 1.2.1 (I am not happy about this) - if such a Update
ever will come.

Lars