Re: Shared Library Question

From: David Relson
Subject: Re: Shared Library Question
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:18:29 -0500

At 04:57 PM 3/27/01, Manuel Guesdon wrote:
On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 13:48:44 -0500 David Relson <relson@osagesoftware.com> wrote: >| After investigating, I think the problem relates to the shared libraries on
 >| the two systems, in particular libc and pthread.  The two systems have:
 >|
 >|         Mandrake 7.0 - /lib/libc-2.1.2.so and /lib/libpthread-0.7.so
 >|         Mandrake 7.2 - /lib/libc-2.1.3.so and /lib/libpthread-0.8.so
 >|
 >| One solution might be to link with the older libraries.  Suggestions on
 >| other solutions would be appreciated.

I use a 7.0 mandrake based system + manual upgrades with
        /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.1.so
        /lib/libpthread.so.0 -> libpthread-0.9.so

I've not deeply tested threads but the multithreaded applications I wrote (seems to) work well.
May be yo can try to upgrade to these versions.

Manuel

Manuel,

An interesting suggestion. I've been avoiding glibc-2.2 because a few months ago I made a big mistake. I upgraded just one file --- /lib/glibc-2.2.... As I recall the rpm I used must have deleted glibc-2.1 (or something) and my system got totally hosed. However, I interpret your suggestion as building glibc-2.2.x and manually copying libc-2.2.x.so and libpthread-0.x.so to (maybe) /usr/local/lib. Then I can link my program to the new libraries. It it works, great. If it doesn't work, I just have some unnecessary shared libraries on my development machine. I think I'll give it a try.

David

P.S.  I still want to know how to make a program use an old library ...

David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
relson@osagesoftware.com       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800