Re: GNUstep equivalent to the "open" tool.

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep equivalent to the "open" tool.
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:50:48 -0800 (PST)

--- Tom Hageman <trh@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 18:37:50 -0800 (PST), Gregory Casamento wrote:
> > Under OPENSTEP4.2 and MOSX an applications supported extensions
> > are added to the "suffixes" database when the application is docked.
>
> Actually, in NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP the app does not necessarily have to be
> docked in order to collect its extension info.  (that would mean that only
> documents associated with docked apps would be double-clickable, which in
> light of the limited number of slots available in the NS/OS dock would
> give rather a poor user experience.)

I can see what you mean.   In retrospect, I believe that you are correct.  I
did, however, see the suffixes file updated when I docked an app.   I'll have
to try this again to confirm what I saw.

> In fact, what happens is that when the user logs in, or later chooses
> "View > Update viewers" in Workspace, _all_ apps in a few known
> directories, and subdirectories thereof, are scanned (by default ~/Apps
> /LocalApps /NextApps /NextDeveloper/Apps /NextAdmin /NextDeveloper/Demos
> on NS/OS; this could be changed by setting the ApplicationPaths default),
> and their extension info is collected into the suffixes database.  This
> database  is subsequently used by NSWorkspace to associate document
> extensions with application paths.

We still need an equivalent to this database in GNUstep.   I don't think we
have one currently.

> > Since WindowMaker is being used to dock our applications how should we
> > provide similar functionality under GNUstep?
>
> make_services might be a natural candidate, as it already scans the apps
> for services info.

I wonder if this is where it happens under OPENSTEP.

> --
> __/__/__/__/  Tom Hageman  <trh@xs4all.nl> (home)  [NeXTmail/Mime OK]
>   __/ __/_/         <t.hageman@proteon.nl> (work)  [Mime OK]
>  __/__/__/
> __/  _/_/                                              [ObjC retain];
> objc: FREED(id): message retain sent to freed object=0xdeadcafe

=====
Gregory John Casamento