Re: "toll-free bridging"

From: Stefan Boehringer
Subject: Re: "toll-free bridging"
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 19:58:45 +0100

Hello Strobe,

I'm a bit in a similar boat like you, living in a Objective-C hostile environment (of course not by proper reasoning, but by technical ignorance). As painful as it is, I have fallen back to plain C for the most part (and a bit of C++). BTW, I've come back to plain C after nearly a decade now, but having coded Objective-C (and esp. the OPENSTEP API) improves your coding skills - I can tell you.
GNUstep can be ported nearly everywhere (and is ported already). So I would code the other way round: wrap GNUstep to plain C (unless there is a community maintaining CF for the required platforms). New code goes to plain C and is wrapped to Objective-C for private use.
Of course I would very much like to see CF ported everywhere and maintained, but this is a task completely complementary to GNUstep - no conflicts. For myself I consider this a duplication of efforts, as of today.

Now going through flames :-)....
I havn't read much software licences. Didn't ASPL used to permit Apple to revoke the licence? Maybe this is one of the flaws they have removed.
We all agree that there is no such thing like a flawless licence, don't we? This group has a common goal: GNUstep - not LGPL or any ideology. The main coders (>80% of code) are (L)GPL advocates, so in my opinion it's o.k. we live with LGPL. Just a matter of take it or leave it.
On the other hand I want to stress that this group is not hostile to licences other than LGPL - certainly not. Any reasonable (whatever this means :-) licence (for me ASPL is) is acceptable for GNUstep related projects - like your proposal of a CF port. However there seems to be no way to change the GNUstep licence in the foreseeable future. But I can't see any pressing need for that.

Perhaps those interfacing issues will go away if GNUstep spreads throughout the realm of software. For myself I finally see the stone rolling. GNUstep is on track. Recently I have done some recreational coding on OPENSTEP which I want to port to GNUstep ASAP, which leverages on many of the strengths the OPENSTEP API has to offer (and is one of my private killer apps). I don't want to promise too much, but hope to release in a month or two [Digression: has anybody tried OPENSTEP with plex86 of bochs, which would help my transition to linux a lot].

At this point as in the past I want to express my deep respect and affection for all GNUstep coders, maintainers and persons doing documentation for their excellent work.

Best wishes,

Stefan