libnsl question

From: David Relson
Subject: libnsl question
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:42:59 -0500

A strange one today...

While debugging with emacs and gdb, I noticed some odd behavior with the step-into command (ctl-s, ctl-i). With one executable it works correctly and with a different executable, it works as a next (ctl-s, ctl-n). I looked at Makefile to see what was being linked and discovered that the relevant difference was "LIBS = -lnsl". Now I have two versions of a very small Objective-C program. One is linked with nsl and one is linked without nsl. Gdb works normally with executable that lacks -lnsl and works incorrectly with the executable that includes -lnsl.

What the heck is libnsl.so.1 (to be precise)?

Any theories why it causes trouble?

David
David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
relson@osagesoftware.com       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800