Re: AppIcon patch revisited

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: AppIcon patch revisited
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 14:54:16 +0000

On Saturday, February 10, 2001, at 12:33 PM, Stefan Boehringer wrote:

> Hello Richard,
>
> I think that there is some good chance to realize Dan's proposal without
> breaking the
> layering of the GNUstep API.
> However this is at the cost of extending the existing backend API. There
> should be
> precisely the chance to forward events back to the backend. Then a miniwindow
> could
> forward back unneeded mouse down events.

I'd rather avoid the app developer needing to provide workarounds like using
some
extended API to send back events.

> In my point of view there is no way around doing some extra work to get mini
> windows straight.
> Having a window fully functional but at the same time dockable and correctly
> tiled needs
> special treatment somewhere in the libraries. I'm not convinced that it is
> WMakers part to
> handle all those complications, since it seems to be quite GNUstep specific
> etc., and we
> (the GNUstep libraries) have good chances to handle the case gracefully.
> Unfortunatly I'm not familier with the backend stuff, so I just want to point
> out this
> possibility.

I believe that if Window Maker simply treated appicons and miniwindows like
other windows,
the problem would not exist.  As far as I can see, the only way in which it
should treat
those windows any differently (according to ICCCM) is that it should handle
mapping/unmapping for them, and the gnustep backend library should refrain from
mapping/unmapping them itsself.