Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 19:57:07 +0000

On Sunday, January 7, 2001, at 07:38 PM, Helge Hess wrote:

> Jason H Clouse wrote:
> > <<Yes, of course. See GToolKit on one approach (which certainly could be
> > improved). As I said, gstep-gui might need to be dropped - I'm not
> > talking about a gtk+ 'backend' (though this is somewhat technically
> > interesting)>>
> >
> > I don't mean to sound harsh (I really don't) but why not just use GTK
> > then?  I mean, you've definitely got a point--GNUstep is nowhere near as
> > useful for writing applications right now as GTK.  The answer, for you at
> > least, is to simply use GTK.
>
> Maybe, but the discussion doesn't go about what I use !, but about the
> usefulness of developing YAXT (yet another X11 toolkit) and about the
> focus of GNUstep as a project.

I'm sure you know this - but it's perhaps worth noting for the sake of those who
don't, that gstep-gui is not designed to be an X11 toolkit (which is what xgps
and
xdps are), but to be a cross-platform toolkit able to efficiently work with a
variety of relatively simple backend toolkits.
Certainly the API is totally un-X-like, which is perhaps a reason why we have
few
developers (and a reason why we have those of us that wqe do have).