Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 08:39:47 -0800 (PST)

--- Helge Hess <helge.hess@skyrix.com> wrote:
<snippage>

> So in what time do you think gstep-gui will reach the same level of
> stability/feature-completeness as for example Qt ? After doing some
> *years* of gstep-gui development without a 1.0 result, may it not indeed
> be a good, even if hurting, decision  to swap to another toolkit ?

The problem is not to toolkit itself, but the fact that we don't have a *large*
number of developers.  Also, you must remember, that things like Qt and GNOME
have more commercial backing than GNUstep does.  GNUstep gui, IMHO, is *almost*
complete.   Let not throw the baby out w/ the bathwater here.

> This approach is taken by almost any scripting language with great
> success. On the other side Smalltalk's follow the GNUstep approach to
> make everything in one language with basically no success.
>
> > I looked at the gnome stuff, from a viewpoint of trying to integrate with
> gstep-base
> > and it simply had nothing to offer.  However, special purpose libraries
> (like libxml)
> > can reasonably be integrated, and I'm in favour of doing that where it's
> feasable.
>
> I think this was already discussed one time in the past ;-) Using glib
> in gstep-base would at least easen using gtk+ in gstep-gui.

Why would we wish to tie ourselves to GTK?  Doing this would cause us to loose
compatibility w/ OPENSTEP since we would no longer have DPS.   Also I would
consider DPS more elegant than GTK.

> > I'm not sure what the future is either - but I'm sure that the OpenStep GUI
> design is
> > basically a damn good architecture - so I don't think that the
> technological advantage
> > is completely gone, though it's much diminished.
> >
> > Our problem is lack of developers, not poorly designed libraries.
>
> The problem is the ratio between developers/design-quality. GNUstep has
> no developers and a good design and gtk+/Qt has masses of developers and
> a not mentionable worse design.

I am a GNUstep developer, as is most everyone else on this list.    Simply
because we have fewer developers does not mean we should give up on
gnustep-gui.

> We'll see ;-)

Yes, we will.  :)

> Greetings
>   Helge

=====
Gregory John Casamento           Sr. Software Engineer