Re: Problem configuring gnustep-core

From: David Relson
Subject: Re: Problem configuring gnustep-core
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 13:12:02 -0500

Frederic,

Adam already gave me the --with-tiff-library=/usr/GNUstep... tip.

I just tried installing the libtiff-devel...rpm and it works great. I guess I have to up my level of suspicion/paranoia and learn to look for the xxx-devel-xxx.rpm packages whenever I hit a problem. I guess I haven't been bitten enought times by the lack of installed devel*rpm packages to think of them.

Thanks.

David

At 12:59 PM 1/1/01, Frederic wrote:
David Relson wrote:

Hi David, hi all,

> Checking for libtiff.a, I have it in two spots (as expected):
>         -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1181902 Jan 2 10:50
> /usr/src/GNUstep/dgs/tiff/libtiff/libtiff.a
>         -r--r--r-- 1 root root 1181902 Jan 2 10:51
> /usr/GNUstep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/libtiff.a

Neither /usr/src/GNUstep/dgs/tiff/libtiff/, nor
/usr/GNUstep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu are standard path where the
libraries are being looked for. So you need to specify manually the
path by using the option ./configure
--with-tiff-library=/usr/GNUstep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/

You also need to check for the header (tiff.h) and specify its path
with --with-tiff-library=...

> Environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH does contain...
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used at runtime for shared libraries and will not
satisfy the header requirement.

> Other information of possible significance:
>         Kernel:         2.2.18
>         CPU:            Pentium III
>         libtiff-3.5.5-2mdk.rpm is installed

Good, the best solution is to install libtiff-devel-3.5.5-2mdk.rpm,
probably libjpeg-devel-6b-15mdk too, and maybe some other. All decent
Linux distributions do have tiff development libraries ready for usage.
(many other *-devel* packages may be forth looking at when ./configure
is failing)

> Thanks.

Hope this helps,

> David

David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
relson@osagesoftware.com       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800