problem with NSConnection and NSThread

From: Rene Cornils
Subject: problem with NSConnection and NSThread
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:51:56 +0100 (MET)

Dear subscribers,

I'm having problems in using remote objects (via NSConnection) from
within newly created threads (NSThread). Some code to illustrate the
problem:

// ----------
    // initialize the connection to the server
    //   This method connects to the server process on a remote host
    //   and stores a reference to the (remote) vended object.

    [connectionController initConnection];

    // now use the remote object
    //   Invoke a method of the remote object (receiving app doesn't
    //   call back our sending app).

    [connectionController performRemoteTask:nil];

    // ok, works as expected

    // now try to use the remote object from a new thread
    //   Same as obove except the thread.

    [NSThread detachNewThreadSelector:@selector(performRemoteTask:)
            toTarget:connectionController withObject:nil];

    // raises exception:
    //   NSPortTimeoutException: timed out waiting for reply

My setup: Linux/ix86, gcc 2.95.2 with patched libobjc (NSLock problem),
GNUstep snapshot-20001107 (make and base).

What am I doing wrong? Any hints are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rene