Re: gnustep on redhat 7.0

From: Georg Huettenegger
Subject: Re: gnustep on redhat 7.0
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 22:58:35 +0200 (CEST)

david,

> For the past few weeks, I've subscribed to the linux-kernel mailing
> list.  Over the past week, there has been a lot of comment about RedHat 7.0
> and gcc-2.96.  Apparently what RedHat has termed gcc-2.96 is a cvs snapshot
> of the compiler(s), not an official release of the compiler.  A number of
> issues make the new compiler unsuitable for kernel building, so RedHat 7.0
> also has an older version of the compiler (called kgcc) for kernel
> building.  I suggest you try installing the kgcc rpm, compile gnustep and
> let us know how it works out.

your are quite right about gcc-2.96 (besides the fact that to my knowledge
there will be not official release between gcc 2.95.2 and 3.0). but it is
not possible to use one of the other two provided gcc/egcs versions (kgcc
and compat-egcs) because both lack the objc backend. i am also not quite
sure how good gnustep would cope with gcc 2.95.2 used by other linux
distributions like suse. (as for the problem with the linux kernel: pre
2.2.18 kernels already automatically choose kgcc and 2.4 kernels should
compile with the newer gcc.)

i see some possibilities to solve the problem:
o) work together with cygnus to get the bug out of gcc (i did not mention
the exact problem with NSData.m before: gcc aborts with an internal
error) and hope for some compiler update by redhat
o) try to change gnustep as far as needed to get it working with rh 7.0
(or better: recent gcc snapshots)
o) try to make/get a working egcs-1.1.2 compiler with objc backend for rh
7.0 (perhaps that can be done with some simple changes in the spec file of
the source rpm package).

bye,
 georg