Re: Spurs in UBX-160 Daughterboard with USRP X310

From: Dor Ratz
Subject: Re: Spurs in UBX-160 Daughterboard with USRP X310
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 01:29:03 +0200

Thanks a lot Marcus and Claudio, I'll check it and update if needed

Dor

בתאריך יום ג׳, 21 בפבר׳ 2023, 4:48 אחה״צ, מאת Marcus D. Leech ‏<patchvonbraun@gmail.com>:
On 21/02/2023 08:43, claudio.franchini@tlrnet.eu wrote:

Hi Dor,

               if the 6kHz spurious from the carrier are discrete, it has nothing to do with phase noise, but rather could be residuals from fractional divisions of the NCOs. On the other hand, with reference to the measurements reported in the document that you find here https://files.ettus.com/performance_data/ubx/, on page 230 and 385, it can be seen that the output power with 15dB of gain should be around to +5/+6dBm, at least that's what it looks like. 2dB or 3dB of difference are not negligible, I wouldn't want there to be intermodulation at the input, but then you should see replicas even further away from the carrier.

Try to attenuate the input level a little: if the spurs decrease non-linearly it is input intermodulation, otherwise they are spurious from the NCO.

Claudio

The PLL synthesizer is the MAX2871, datasheet below:

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/max2871.pdf

The TX-side mixer is the ADL5375, datasheet below:

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ADL5375.pdf

These two components will dominate in terms of phase-noise and spur performance.

You might try setting the synthesizer in integer-N mode, if your target frequency is amenable to integer_n tuning:

https://files.ettus.com/manual/structuhd_1_1tune__request__t.html