Re: Constellation Modulator Block Output is incorrect

From: Ahmad Oweis
Subject: Re: Constellation Modulator Block Output is incorrect
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 18:18:15 +0300

Hi Marcus,

Yes the sps is set at 4.

I totally agree with you about the debugability of the block. It does not allow you plot the constellations to begin with.

Thanks for your reply.

Ahmad

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023, 17:15 Marcus Müller, <mueller@kit.edu> wrote:
Hi Ahmad,

interesting; haven't tried it here, but I do get correctly that you set
a samples per symbol of > 1, right?

Generally, it's not my favourite block in the world: while combining the
constellation mapper and the pulse shaping in the same block does, in
fact, make sense, the chosen abstraction is kind of detrimental to
debugability. You really just a "Chunks to Symbols" (or use a "Multiply
const, const=2" follow by "Add const, const=-1") followed by an "Root
Raised Cosine Filter" with an interpolation == desired samples per
symbol to achieve the same.

That has no bearing on whether we should fix bugs with the Constellation
Modulator, though; we probably should, and we might maybe want to
consider deprecating it, if it's not that useful, but that would warrant
a wider discussion.

Best regards,
Marcus