Re: burst mode for hackrf one

From: Roland Schwarz
Subject: Re: burst mode for hackrf one
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 17:14:30 +0100

Am 05.11.22 um 16:01 schrieb Marcus D. Leech:

I will also point out that it's naive to assume that all SDR hardware supports the same set of features, or even that those
   features are implemented in the same way.

I fully understand, that it's naive to assume that all SDR hardware supports the same set of features, or that those features are implemented in the same way.

I never complaint that the behavior is different from my expectations. (I inadvertently filed a bug, sorry for that.) Instead I am just looking for the correct point to start, without reinventing the wheel. Since documentation on the topic is sparse and understanding the data flow from looking at three different layers, which are not implemented in the same way as you say is hard, I thought I could try to get some insight from the knowledgeable's on this list. :-)

Now *some* of this can kind of sort of be "faked" in the drivers. But things like hardware-precise burst timing?  Nope.

As a first step I am not looking for 'precise' burst timimg. When I create a burst PDU and convert it with PDU to Stream I am happy if that packet is sent out by the transmitter. Currently the send buffer waits until it is full before any data gets out of the tx.

  That requires hardware support, and unless the target hardware was "born" with that hardware support, no amount of
   "faking it" with software will help...

Hmm, not sure I understand you here. HackRF One for sure is a cheap piece of hardware which likely has no sophisticated tx/rx timing control. But turning on the transmitter when a burst packet is available and turning it off when the burst is complete does not sound insurmountable to me.

Please don't get me wrong: I am not looking for fast TX/RX half duplex control currently. I do understand that this will be possibly not doable with GnuRadio because there is no combined sink and source device concept available. Sending out bursts, however, should be possible.

As already said: I am seeking advice for the best starting point, considering my "problem". Shall I tinker with the three levels of gr-soapy which makes use of the Photos HackRF soapy driver, which in turn uses libhackrf, or shall I better write my own specific gr driver which directly depends on libhackrf?

Roland