?????? Nonlinear distortion of USRP

From: ????????
Subject: ?????? Nonlinear distortion of USRP
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 10:10:53 +0800

    Thank you for your answers, I can accept that the samples whose amplitude exceeds 1 are simply clipped. The high PAPR in OFDM is a big problem. According to the previous analysis, if I control the baseband amplitude through the "multiply const" module, when it keeps increasing The multiplied constant value, the more samples that reach the nonlinearity (clipped), the higher the PAPR, and the more samples that reach the nonlinearity under the same constant. Can this be used to measure the effect of PAPR on nonlinear distortion? I think it should be possible

------------------ ???????? ------------------
??????: "Marcus D. Leech" <patchvonbraun@gmail.com>;
????????: 2022??6??6??(??????) ????9:19
??????: "discuss-gnuradio"<discuss-gnuradio@gnu.org>;
????: Re: Nonlinear distortion of USRP

On 2022-06-05 23:33, ???????? wrote:
> Hi,
>     Recently, I am confused about the process from baseband signal to
> RF transmission. I know that baseband signal is sent to USRP through
> UHD. If the signal amplitude exceeds 1, what will happen? I looked up
> some mailing lists and mentioned nonlinearity. I wonder what this
> nonlinearity means? There are many nonlinear devices in RF, such as
> ADC, amplifier, etc. which is the specific one?
>     As I understood it earlier, suppose a baseband signal sample
> (0.8+0.8i) becomes Udacmax* (0.8+0.8i) when it enters the USRP.
> Udacmax is the maximum voltage. When a signal sample is (2+2i), it
> becomes udacmax* (1+1i)?Amplitudes exceeding 1 are forced to be
> limited to 1 and multiplied by the maximum voltage?
>     When the baseband signal has a high PAPR, it will affect the RF
> operation. A high amplitude will bring nonlinear distortion to the
> power amplifier. Is this nonlinear distortion the same as the
> nonlinearity brought by the amplitude exceeding 1 mentioned above? If
>  it is the same, can I evaluate the impact of high PAPR by changing
> the value of the "multiply const" module (the scaling factor before
> the baseband signal enters the USRP sink) to make the signal enter
> nonlinearity?
>      Finally, I would like to know the whole process from baseband
> signal to RF electromagnetic wave (on USRP). Is there any website you
> can recommend? I have some fragmentary knowledge of signal processing,
> but I can't combine them to figure out the whole process.
>      Looking forward to your reply, thanks in advance??
> Sincerely,
> Regards
>                      linge93

There is a convention established in the SDR world that floating-point
baseband signals are *scaled* into {-1.0,+1.0}.  The hardware then
scales this internally into the ranges that
   are appropriate for the DAC and ADCs involved, after possibly
performing DUC (Digital Upconversion) or DDC (digital downconversion)
operations inside the FPGA.  If your
   baseband signals exceed {-1.0,+1.0}, they are simply clipped into
that range.

The hardware designers try to match the largest output of the DAC to the
largest IF port signal requirements of the mixers and amplifiers, but
that "match" is necessarily
   somewhat fluid due to the vagaries of analog hardware operating over
large frequency ranges and other operational parameters.  So, the
recommendation is to
   have your baseband signals not exceed about {-0.9,+0.9} or perhaps
somewhat smaller.

Ettus/NI don't provide a "structured walk-through" of their hardware.
But they all follow a similar approach that would be very familiar to
any engineer that is somewhat familiar
   with RF system design, most SDRs follow a very similar design
pattern, regardless of manufacturer.

On the TX path:

computer-software---->interface-to-SDR--->DUC(FPGA)--->DAC--->MIXER--->RF-AMPs---->Antenna-Port
^
|+LO

On the RX path:

Antenna-port-->RF-AMPs--MIXER--->ADC--->DDC---interface-to-SDR---->computer-software
                                               ^
                                                |+LO

You'll find diagrams like that scattered all over Google when you search
on terms like "what is an SDR?".