[GSoC 2022 Cover Letter] GNU Radio goes Browser: Web Assembly (WASM) por

From: 史 皓航
Subject: [GSoC 2022 Cover Letter] GNU Radio goes Browser: Web Assembly (WASM) port
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 12:38:39 +0000

Hi!  My name is Yao. I am a fresh student from China, majoring in Computer Science. I want to reach out to this sub-program: “porting SIMD-heavy code (eg. volk, fftw3, etc) to use the Wasm-supported set of intrinsics”.  Following is my background and my solution to achieve this program.

Background:  I am familiar with modern C++ and I have used AVX512 to accelerate the convolution algorithm(Winograd) in a competition. Besides, currently, I am working to improve a wasm runtime(called WasmEdge  previous SSVM)  performance in LFX mentorship LFX Workspace: Improving the performance of running miniruby · Issue #1292.

Solution: Since not all simd instructions are supported well in Wasm, If the emscripten is done well, we can port it with an extra compile flag. On the other side,  I think we should reimplement related code with official wasm-simd header if the original function is not supported and really necessary (like many portable functions in volk ).

Additionally, I found the GSoCIdeas (section) page has a typo in the sentence:

  [ porting SIMD-heavy code (eg. volk, fftw3, etc) to use the Wasm-suppprted set of intrinsics. ]

I believe the Wasm-suppprted should be Wasm-supported.

That’s my thought, thank you for reading this!