[VOLK] Help needed for PR reviews before release

From: Johannes Demel
Subject: [VOLK] Help needed for PR reviews before release
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 11:24:29 +0100

Hi all,

today I'd like to ask for help to review some PRs before we can do a VOLK 2.5.1 release. I'd like to do a release ASAP to still have time to get these changes into large distro releases.

I'd like to see better support for automatic publication on Zenodo:
https://github.com/gnuradio/volk/pull/559
you can find prior VOLK releases on Zenodo:
https://zenodo.org/record/4903136
This PR is probably mostly interesting for academia to make it easier to cite VOLK if you use it in your work. At least I consider it very interesting. You can add more info about yourself if you like. e.g. ORCID and affiliation.

This fix should make it easier for package maintainers to use a system cpu_features package:
https://github.com/gnuradio/volk/pull/558

This fix should boost convolutional decoder performance.
https://github.com/gnuradio/volk/pull/475
Since changes to FEC code that affect FER/BER performance are notoriously difficult to verify, It'd be great to have more people testing this fix. However, this fix is already in use by some users with good results.

Some rather obscure kernels are untested for years and probably unused. https://github.com/gnuradio/volk/pull/555 I'd like to know if this deprecation approach does not break things for anyone.

We need to replace `distutils` in our build system because the functions we use are deprecated.
https://github.com/gnuradio/volk/pull/554

These two PRs concern our Boost dependency:
https://github.com/gnuradio/volk/pull/548
https://github.com/gnuradio/volk/pull/557
Either we decide to remove obsolete code in #548 and update our requirements, or we finally drop our Boost dependency in #557. Boost is an optional dependency for old systems that lack `std::filesystem` support. The latest CI that required Boost was for Ubuntu 14.04. Starting with Ubuntu 16.04, we were able to use `std::experimental::filesystem` and drop our Boost dependency. Thus, it might be time to finally drop our Boost dependency.

If you have time to look at those PRs and review them, that'd be great.

Cheers
Johannes

--
Johannes Demel M.Sc.