Re: [Solved] Re: Unit testing of message passing blocks

From: Vasil Velichkov
Subject: Re: [Solved] Re: Unit testing of message passing blocks
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 11:33:23 +0300

Hi Malte,

On 08/09/2021 23.48, Malte Lenhart wrote:
> thanks so much for your instant and helpful answer! That is exactly what
> I looked for!

I'm glad I was able to help.

> I thought a test in
> the gr-blocks will improve the visibility of your testing approach. Plus
> another block has a unit test then.

I agree with you.

> As stated in the PR, I was wondering if using the same test for the
> message debug block would be beneficial (one more block w/ test) or
> unnecessary (duplicated code, additional test time). I would be very
> happy for short feedback on that.

In my opinion it would be beneficial.

> Closing remark: start() and wait() don't seem to be documented in the
> python unittest page [2], is this gnu radio specific? (the question is
> rather, should it be documented somewhere and if yes where :-) )

Both start and wait are top_block's member functions and are well documented,
see [1] and [2].

[1] https://www.gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/classgr_1_1top__block.html
[2]
https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/blob/maint-3.8/gnuradio-runtime/include/gnuradio/top_block.h#L64-L76