Re: Regarding linking the libraries for undefined symbol error

From: Johannes Demel
Subject: Re: Regarding linking the libraries for undefined symbol error
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 15:27:08 +0200

Hi Arhum,

first off a few comments. You mention Ubuntu 16.04 which reached End-Of-Life (EOL) a few months back. Please don't use obsolete software. After all, it is a security risk. Besides, Ubuntu 16.04 exposed a series of bugs that are very specific to this distro. Thus, they are considered to be distro bugs. Since 16.04 is EOL and e.g. 20.04 does not expose these bugs (and in fact no other distro), it is unlikely that these issues will ever be fixed.

GNU Radio version 3.7.x is considered to be outdated at this point. It seems like you want to start a project. Newer GR versions offer a lot of packet data tools and blocks. I highly recommend to go with the latest GNU Radio 3.9 release.
https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/UbuntuInstall
I assume these PDU utilities might help you to get even further:
https://github.com/sandialabs/gr-pdu_utils

Please don't send screenshots of terminal output. It is harder to read than necessary and more difficult to use. Just copy paste the terminal output.

Regarding your undefined symbol:
It might be the case that you ended up with an old VOLK version that does not include the `volk_32fc_index_max_32u` kernel. Thus, it lacks the `_manual` version as well. If you consider installing a newer version of VOLK on Ubuntu 16.04, be aware that this will trigger a bug with this distros GCC version as well as some headers.

All of that brings me back to my first paragraph. Please start with a supported and recent toolchain that will definitely get you further.

Cheers
Johannes