Re: Multiple GNU Radio versions installed in parallel. Viable?

From: Derek Kozel
Subject: Re: Multiple GNU Radio versions installed in parallel. Viable?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 23:16:05 +0100

Hi Anton,

It is very possible to have multiple versions installed in parallel and even not that difficult (on Linux). PyBOMBS does indeed specifically support installing different versions into different environments and selectively activating them. Keeping your system install is likely to cause issues since it will always be in the library paths no matter what other version/prefix is active.

PyBOMBS is generally stable, the recipes are in a separate repository that is a little more active. Both do need more testers and contributors to keep them working entirely smoothly though.

Anaconda is increasingly popular and stable for setting up separate environments.
https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/CondaInstall

Personally I just use CMake to specify different install locations when building from source and then have a short script to activate an environment. Not the most robust, but simple and effective.

In the GNU Radio source directory, or an OOT source directory:

cmake -G Ninja -B build-${PREFIX_NAME} -S . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=${PREFIX_PATH}
cmake --build build-${PREFIX_NAME} --target install

A setenv.sh script:

prefix="gr310"
export PREFIX_NAME=${prefix}
export PREFIX_PATH=$HOME/prefixes/${prefix}
export PATH="$HOME/prefixes/${prefix}/bin:$PATH"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/prefixes/${prefix}/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
export LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/prefixes/${prefix}/lib:$LIBRARY_PATH"
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$HOME/prefixes/${prefix}/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"
export PYTHONPATH="$HOME/prefixes/${prefix}/lib/python3/dist-packages/:$PYTHONPATH"

Activated with `source setenv.sh`

The only currently known issue with running multiple versions like this is that the preferences file is shared between them and there have been one or two bugs with conflicts. I don't think they're a problem with the latest 3.8 and 3.9 releases and there's a longer term rework to preferences in review.

Cheers,
Derek