Re: N310 phase sync issue with antenna array

From: Johannes Demel
Subject: Re: N310 phase sync issue with antenna array
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 17:31:23 +0200

Hi Larry,

Which carrier frequency do you use for your tests? Something like 2.4GHz?
do the 4 receive channels have a stable phase between them? i.e. if you don't move the transmit antenna or your RX array, the phases do not change?

I assume you have 1 TX antenna and 4 RX antennas. I would expect that your N310 receives this signal with a stable phase and time aligned.

However, your wireless channel will introduce a phase shift (you compensated it with a delay, if I understand correctly). This is expected and introduced by your wireless channel. In your wired test case you fixed the "different distances" issue by using same-length cables.

> What I believe should be the expected results of this setup is that each AD9371 should receive synchronous signals aligned in phase, with a random 180 degree offset between each AD9371 transceiver (please correct me if this assumption if wrong).

Your assumption is probably wrong. You can only expect a fixed phase relation between your RX antennas. Your RX signal will not have the same phase on all RX antennas. And there might still be a 180 degree ambiguity.

In case you aim for a SIMO configuration, you need to do channel estimation for every RX stream.

Cheers
Johannes