Re: GSoC'21 - View Only Mode

From: Sebastian Koslowski
Subject: Re: GSoC'21 - View Only Mode
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 10:26:32 +0200

Thanks for you feedback and questions.

The user might want to disable saving of evaluated params for size, security, etc. Would saving be optional?

Interesting idea. Shouldn't be too hard to implement - however I'd this low-priority optional extension of the project.

Some evaluated expressions could be huge, filter taps for instance, and can be readily regenerated. Should some things never be saved? Should some expressions be recognized as safe? Do we need to change the way we specify some params, e.g., don't use a Python _expression_ in some places?

For non-primitive values only the repr used by the GUI will be stored.

We'll not try to be clever just to save a few of bytes. Read-only really means no eval.

No changes to how flowgraphs are designed will be required.

Many grc files, new and old, will not contain saved values. What will it look like when one of these files is opened?

Forward and backwards compatibility will be ensured. Users will be notified if opening a flowgraph read-only is not possible

Can expressions that are not evaluated be shown as a hover, the same way IDEs show references. Or some other way?

I read-only mode all expressions will use a cached value loaded from file. Both the parameter dialog and optionallly blocks on the canvas can already show expressions.

Sebastian