Re: About umts

From: Johannes Demel
Subject: Re: About umts
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 11:29:46 +0100

Hi Oliver,

unfortunately, I don't know of any GNU Radio UMTS implementation. If others do, they will point you to it.

Besides, I'd like to point out a few caveats. UMTS is not a simple single carrier system. You can't just use a Costas Loop to sync to your constellation. You first need to synchronize, deal with CDMA and probably equalize before you can observe a constellation.

My understanding is that UMTS systems will be shut down soon. At least in Germany all carriers have announced to shut down their 3G systems in '21. It might be totally different in other countries. 2G/GSM is still available in Germany, and will be after the UMTS shutdown.
Where do you want to receive UMTS signals?

Cheers
Johannes