Re: some feature-requests for GRC

From: Kristoff
Subject: Re: some feature-requests for GRC
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 20:53:01 +0100

Hi Jeff,

For item 1 and 2.

Yep. I just did some more tests and I agree. I think I will just create one giant tarball with all the GRCs, i/q files and perhaps other stuff, and then run grc with the names of all the *grc-files. That should do the trick.

Good idea. Thx!

For item 3, well I did say that was probably the most difficult thing, didn't I? :-)

I got my idea based on how the 'start' button operates in GRC.
That button is only enabled if the flow meets certain criteria. There seams to be some kind of test that is done every time you change the flowgraph, which enables or disabled the start button,

I do not know the coding logic behind gnuradio-companion, not what gtk can provide for this, but I was wondering if this idea could also be applied the same logic to a complete tab: do a test and -if it fails- disable the flowgraph in that tab. (i.e. hide or disable all blocks)

But, I guess this would require two additional elements:
- the test will need to be based on rules that are provided by the flowgraph
- the test should be able to access resources from tabs. (e.g. the test for "tab2" could be "tab1.var.sampl_rate.value == 1200")

As said, I have never worked with gtk, so I have no idea if this is possible.

Just out of interest.
How to the test to determine if the 'start' button is enabled actually work?
I guess there must be some mechanism that parses the structure of the flow-graph and then perform some tests on that to check if it is ok?

Note, please do not  get me wrong. I do not want to be 'pushy'. I'm just trying to view this from an "education" point of view.

I have now given a number of GNU Radio demo's. I started out with "standard" presentation: I-as presenter-  demonstrate a GNU Radio flow and that the audience just needs to "watch and understand". All very nice, except that, ... most people had already forgotten almost everything 5 minutes after the demonstration had ended. If people do not need to do or think themself, they are simply not sufficient engaged and -although they do get an idea of GNU Radio can do- the actual process of creating a flow-graph does not stick. That is why I started looking into CTFs and now also this "getting-started" workshop.

So, let's then conciser a "howto" or a "workshop" that people can do by themself by downloading it from the web, things become even more difficult as there is not even a teacher to help them. If you create a "howto" and just provide people with a number of flow-graphs, even a separate GRC for every step, I see very little incentive for people not immediately go to the final GRC and try at the end-result as soon as they hits a snag. For that reason, I am more a fan of the model of -say- jupyter notebooks where people are forced to follow the complete flow of the training,  step by step,  and cannot just jump to the end of the training.

So, in fact,  I am trying to figure out who to create the forced step-by-step learning model of a jupyter notebook, using GRC.

Concerning item 4:
Is it possible in gtk that, if a part of the text in a note-block is a URL (https://...), that GRC would starts a web browser if people click on it?

It would be nice to be able to incorporate external references (e.g. a video) in the notes of a flow-graph.

73
kristoff - ON1ARF