Re: Measuring transmission power from USRP B210

From: Christophe Seguinot
Subject: Re: Measuring transmission power from USRP B210
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 09:11:42 +0100

Hi

I did not tried to calibrate my USRP source up to now but I'm interesting by this subject.

Regards

On 09/11/2020 17:39, Moses Browne Mwakyanjala wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'm in the process of testing a GNU Radio transmitter. The transmitter will be connected to a solid-state power amplifier (SSPA) for near-Earth satellite communications. The SSPA expects an input of 0dm from the USRP TX port.

The first step is thus to measure the power from the USRP. To that end, the flowgraph generates a complex sinusoidal signal with a unit magnitude. The UHD:USRP Sink block is set to maximum gain (i.e. normalized gain of 1.0). Unfortunately, the maximum power I can see from the spectrum analyzer is around -6.93 dBm as shown below. To my understanding, the USRP can transmit up to 20 dBm as reported in the "External Connections" section at this Ettus link :
https://files.ettus.com/manual/page_usrp_b200.html.
Could anyone explain why I can't achieve a 20 dBm (or anything around it) power level?
IMG_3475.JPG
Thanks in advance,
Moses.