Re: explaining i/q

From: Christophe Seguinot
Subject: Re: explaining i/q
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 14:29:51 +0100

Hi

I do agree with Jeff Long.

You will have to distinguish Sampling and IQ:

Regards, Christophe

On 04/11/2020 13:50, Kristoff wrote:
Jef,

Concerning the term "slope". Well, I also have my doubts about it. I think that for a lot of people, this would create the assumption that the signal then goes from the 'i' value to the 'q' value in a straight line, which is -as we know- not the case.

Sometimes it helps to -at first- give a very basic mental image of something, and -at the end, when people understand the topic- "correct" that image with a more correct one, or just point them to some youtube video that explains the topic in more detail.

Anycase,this is indeed all an interesting exercise in braking down concepts into very small steps.

The amateur-radio community is a bit strange as most people do have a technical background, but for a large number of hams, that is mainly based on assumptions or "that's what they said in the ham-radio courses", without understanding the full technical details, especially topics that are highly based on math.
For most hams, "SDR" is just "that piece of software you install on your computer to look at  waterfall graphs".

So we have a very long way to go. :-)

73
kristoff - ON1ARF