Re: Chip rate and sampling rate

From: Kyeong Su Shin
Subject: Re: Chip rate and sampling rate
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 05:15:20 +0000

Hello Akinyele:

1. Is chip rate same as sample rate?

-> It could be, but not necessarily. It depends on your system. Assuming I-Q sampling, the sampling rate of the transmitter must be equal to or higher than the chipping rate of the signal (Shannon-Nyquist sampling theorem). Also, it is preferrable to use an integer multiple of the chipping rate as the sampling rate of the transmitter. For the receiver, you can choose any sampling rate that is somewhat higher than the symbol rate of the system, but really, it should be close to or higher than the chipping rate of the signal (to maximize the SNR).

2. Is there any relationship betwen chip rate and symbol rate?

-> Usually, the symbol rate is in integer fraction of the chipping rate.  (ex: 1 symbol per 50 chips)

3.  Lastly, how can one arrive at actually usrp transmitter power when transmitting LFSR sequence.

-> Sorry, but I think I don't understand your question. If you want to know the absolute power strength (in dBm), then you need a calibrated receiver.

Regards,

보낸 사람: AKINYELE ITAMAKINDE <aitamakinde@abuad.edu.ng> 대신 Discuss-gnuradio <discuss-gnuradio-bounces+ksshin=postech.ac.kr@gnu.org>
보낸 날짜: 2020년 10월 14일 수요일 오전 9:17
받는 사람: discuss-gnuradio@gnu.org <discuss-gnuradio@gnu.org>
제목: Chip rate and sampling rate

Is chip rate same as sample rate? Is there any relationship betwen chip rate and symbol rate? Lastly, how can one arrive at actually usrp transmitter power when transmitting LFSR sequence. Thanks
Akinyele