Re: laptop recommendations

From: Lyman Paquette
Subject: Re: laptop recommendations
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 10:21:48 -0400

Greetings,

One recommendation if you don't mind being the constructor, is a DIY laptop from: http://mntmn.com/reform/
All Open source and modular
I believe runs FreeBSD
Take it apart, modify and upgrade it without regret
Repair it yourself with simple 3D printed parts and the hardware store

No mic or camera

HtH
L. Paquette

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 at 00:43, Rob Campbell <kg6hum@gmail.com> wrote:
Since no one else has mentioned it yet.  System76 specializes in making Linux laptops.

They originally used only Ubuntu, but now they have an option for their own Pop OS, which is based on Ubuntu.  They have many models to choose from, starting with tiny portable laptops and going up to desktop replacements with desktop CPUs and graphics cards.  They also recently started offering models with Open Source firmware, using coreboot and embedded controller firmware.

I have owned a Gazelle Pro model for many years, which is a few generations behind now.  I am really considering upgrading to their Oryx Pro with an all aluminum body, up to 64GB of RAM, switchable Nvidia RTX graphics, and USB 3.1 and 3.2 ports.  I think it will make a great upgrade for my SDR use.

I am not affiliated with System76, and have never received anything free from them.  I am just a satisfied customer who likes to support companies who support open source and Linux users.

--
Rob Campbell