Re: ALSAPulseAudio procedure

From: Ryan Volz
Subject: Re: ALSAPulseAudio procedure
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 13:31:15 -0400

Hi Barry,

I don't know too much about ALSA or PulseAudio, but I do know that the part of
the wiki that you cited is for setting up an ALSA source that grabs whatever is
playing through PulseAudio. It is *not* something that you can use for an audio
sink, only an audio source, which I think is why that didn't work for you.

If anything, then, I'd say that the wiki entry is a bit misleading to frame
that discussion as a "problem" and "solution". It's really just a how-to for
creating an audio source for the sounds that the system is producing elsewhere.

The problem you're having with audio underruns is probably pretty common and
likely would merit a wiki entry in the "problem" and "solution" style.
Unfortunately, I don't have much help for you there since you're already
avoiding PulseAudio and having ALSA talk to the sound card directly.

Cheers,
Ryan