Re: Symbol timing estimator block and CPM modulations

From: Andy Walls
Subject: Re: Symbol timing estimator block and CPM modulations
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 16:06:48 -0400

Hi Nick:

On Wed, 2020-06-24 at 17:39 -0700, Nick Foster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm finally getting around to doing some more CPM work

I forgot to mention, my company found the GMSK demoulation technique
found in this paper:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/241629765_Coherent_demodulation_of_AIS-GMSK_signals_in_co-channel_interference

coupled with the "method 0" CFO correction in this paper:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290776860_Preprocessing_AIS_Signals_for_Demodulation_in_Co-Channel_Interference

along with analog RF components in front of an SDR, and precise timing
with a GPSDO w/PPS to aid in looking for preambles, gave us fantastic
results for AIS reception in GNURadio.

Although it required quite a few custom blocks.

Anyway, Douglas Nelson seems to have a lot of cool papers available in the
public:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Douglas_Nelson8

Regards,
Andy