Re: Calculating SNR of an incoming signal

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Calculating SNR of an incoming signal
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 19:41:10 +0200

Hi Alex,

can you make sure to reply to the mailing list, not just me alone? Others usually take interest in discussion, too :)

Well, then it's easy.

Total signal power is simply the average magnitude square of your received signal You just need to subtract the power of the tone (that's its squared amplitude) and get the noise power.

Divide these two, and you get SNR.

However, since this is the description of a Radar that assumes its targets are stationary, you'd probably use a PLL to remove the noise bandwidth drastically, so not quite sure that kind of SNR measurement is extremely useful for realistic system comparison!

Best regards,
Marcus