Re: Radar Project - BladeRF2.0

From: Doug
Subject: Re: Radar Project - BladeRF2.0
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 14:10:07 -0400

On 6/24/2020 9:03 AM, Dionísio de Carvalho wrote:
hi everybody
This is my fisrt message here. I am pretty new in the SDR world.

I am intended to develop a Radar with BladeRF2.0 from Nuand.
Is anybody in this boat?

I have some start questions that I will be grateful for any help:

- How can I sweep the  Frequency at osmocom-sink?  any idea?
- How can I figure out the TX power?  I am trying to measure an antenna S21 parameter!

thanks for any help

Att

Dionisio Carvalho
Sao Paulo University - Brazil

It is not easy to get a valid measurement of antenna gain or radiated power. It is easier to design the antenna according to a published formula (i.e., plans) and use the gain figures provided by the originator. Be careful to observe whether the gain figure is in reference to isotropic or to a dipole. A dipole has 2.1dB greater gain than isotropic.

(An isotropic radiator is a theoretical point-source that radiates
in all directions--all points along a sphere surrounding it. Professional antenna engineers use the isotropic source as a reference point; radio amateurs tend to use a dipole as their reference value.)

Now, measure the power out of your transmitter, with an appropriate power meter--a lab meter for power levels up to about 10mW (+10dBm) or
a Bird or other higher-power meter for levels greater than +10dBm.
(A lab meter can be used with suitable fixed attenuators of known
value. Be careful not to overload the lab meter!)
Then calculate the effective radiated power: RF power from the transmitter times the gain of the antenna. Use the same measurement units (db, dbm, Watts, numerical gain or dB gain, etc.) to find the ERP--effective radiated power.

Values in dB or dBm are ADDED, not multiplied!

--doug, WA2SAY, retired RF engineer