Gnuradio 3.8 on embedded [ARM] systems

From: address@hidden
Subject: Gnuradio 3.8 on embedded [ARM] systems
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 18:59:12 +0000

As I am annoyed by the constant reminder of compiling such a complex
piece of software as GNU Radio and associated libraries on the target
embedded ARM system (lack of optimization of the binary distribution
tuned for the lowest performance target, damaging the mass-storage SD
card medium, inefficiency of using a low performance system for a
computationally intensive task), we have put together a short documentation
on using Buildroot to generate an image supporting GNU Radio including
Osmosdr DVB-T source, USRP (libuhd) sources and Pluto-SDR (gr-iio) and yet
optimized for the target system: the document is available at

https://github.com/oscimp/PlutoSDR/blob/master/doc/gnuradio_on_RPi.pdf

This documentation focuses on the Raspberry Pi{3,4} as it was the topic of the
latest discussion, but was tested on the PlutoSDR and Redpitaya Zynq processors
(to only name a few of the best known ARM-based platforms we are using).
Basically all platforms supported by Buildroot should be applicable (PlutoSDR
being obviously the most attractive but the most annoying with its eMMC
storage).
The practical demonstration (0-MQ streaming of broadcast FM from target to
host)
is still being fine tuned.

Feel free to comment/correct (all but Phil Balister who will tell us how
superior Yocto/OpenEmbedded is and start a troll because I would argue in
favor of Buildroot ;)

JM

--
JM Friedt, FEMTO-ST Time & Frequency/SENSeOR, 26 rue de l'Epitaphe,
25000 Besancon, France