Re: GNU Radio 3.7 on Ubuntu 20.04

From: Alex Humberstone
Subject: Re: GNU Radio 3.7 on Ubuntu 20.04
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 15:55:47 -0500

Brian, yeah good questions. So, the computers in my lab are going to all be running Ubuntu 20.04 like next week, so we're forced to use that. Not that I mind. I like Ubuntu a lot. And I'm planning to use both GNU Radio 3.7 and 3.8, because I will be porting some custom blocks we wrote in GNU Radio 3.7 to 3.8, but I also need to keep running them in GNU Radio 3.7, while also porting them to GNU Radio 3.8. Maybe like after the next academic year we can drop GNU Radio 3.7. But not for this year. It depends on how well things go for porting all the blocks in our internal library here.

Martin, thanks for your email, that's really good stuff to know. So it seems like GNU Radio 3.7 itself is okay, but GRC gets screwed up. Thats going to give me a lot of trouble. Is it because there's no more Qt4 in Ubuntu 20.04, so GRC and some of the widgets using QtGUI won't work without it? Maybe that's the real battle here, not how to get Python 2 running on Ubuntu 20.04, but how to get Qt4 and Qt5 running together on Ubuntu 20.04. But wait, doesn't GRC in GNU Radio 3.7 use GTK? So it should still work. Has GRC been ported to Qt4 or Qt5 in GNU Radio 3.8?