Re: GNU Session for my peers

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: GNU Session for my peers
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 16:46:46 +0200

Hello Siddhartha Kapoor,

nice hearing from you!

> 1. Are there any legalities to be completed before I speak to my profs
> and batch mates about GNU Radio?

no, not as far as I could think of!

> 2. Are there any already available resources (like PPTs, talks, etc)
> apart from online tutorials? or any tips for the same.

That depends a bit on the audience. I did a talk [1] in front of a bunch
of amateur radio SDR enthusiasts, back in 2016, before I became the
maintainer of GNU Radio. Sadly, audio quality isn't perfect, and I'd
encourage you to build the same things with the modern look and feel of
GRC from GNU Radio 3.8, but maybe it's a start.

You (and your audience) is from a Department of Electronics and
Communication, so probably a good part of my talk is boring, because it
tells them things they already know.

I think the presentations that audiences like the most are these that
talk to them by

1. reminding them of an annoying problem they have
2. shows that you solved that problem
3. explains how you did that
4. and is short :)

So, since you're in an academic setting, a problem that you, your mates
and your profs is
"How to explain DSP and digital radio receivers in a way that everyone
understands"

Maybe start from there. Go in and say "Hi, I'm Siddhartha Kapoor, and I
know that communications isn't easy to understand or explain. So, I
thought, what would be more educational than taking a simple, real-world
signal, and explaining how to decode and generate it".

Then, maybe simply show a simple FM or AM audio receiver that works,
ideally. Then, say, "look here, in the next couple of minutes, I'll
explain how this worked, but first we have to remind ourselves that we
can represent analog signals as digital ..."; allow yourself a (very
limited) couple of minutes to remind them of digital signals and
systems, then say, hey, look here: This is GRC, this is the flow graph I
used to receive FM (or AM or whatever), and explain what you did, and
what GNU Radio did for that.

Then show them something way more complex (gr-dab, gr-ieee-802-11,…) and
highlight what it means that you can implement any modulation scheme in
software.

Don't make it longer than 30 minutes, max.

Cheers,
Marcus

[1] Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMWCOA6z7qY
Slides: http://marcus.hostalia.de/sdra/pres.pdf