Re: Using other blocks inside OOT

From: Sylvain Munaut
Subject: Re: Using other blocks inside OOT
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 09:28:47 +0100

Hi,

> Now I'd like to take each message, demod it using the GFSK block which I've
> tested that it work successfully on stream, run sanity on the bits (preamble,
> trailer, FEC) and if the packet is good, send a new message with the bits and
> the original I/Q signal to the next block for further processing.
>
> 1. What will be the best way to do it in a flow-graph?
> 2. Is it possible to reuse code from other blocks directly/imperatively
> without connecting the block into a flow-graph?

You can't "call" another block yourself really, unless you want to
re-implement enough of gnuradio runtime for it to run ...

What you can do to make it transparent is make a hierarchical block
(hier_block2) that actually contains your custom block and the gfsk
block internally.
This way your "users" only instantiate one block, but internally it
contains several.

Now for your particular application, I would have two custom blocks :
 - One that detects the bursts and adds tags on the stream.
 - You take the output of that and feed it to the GFSK demod
 - Then another block that takes as input both the GFSK demod and the
output of the first block directly looks at the tags and recreates
messages by resyncing both streams.

And then you can encapsulate all of this in a hier_block.

Cheers,

    Sylvain