Asking for Help: GitHub Actions

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Asking for Help: GitHub Actions
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 14:42:05 -0800

Hey all,

I recently started taking a look at GitHub Actions. On the raw CI
front, it can't compete with our pretty nice BuildBot setup, but it's
very versatile.

There's a couple of things that it could automate for us that keep
going on our nerves:
- Auto-lookup if PR submitters have a CLA filed
- Check formatting (that's an action I've started playing around with)
- Maybe make suggestions on if something can be backported
- ..and so on.

Does anyone here have experience with GitHub Actions and the GitHub
APIs (the GH Actions Manual refers to the REST API, but I'm sure the
GraphQL API can also be used)? The vanilla CI workflows for GitHub
Actions are pretty straightforward, but interacting with the GitHub
API is something that I don't really want to take the time right now
to learn (rather than closing pull requests, that is).

If you have time and/or experience, but at the very least are
interested in helping out here, please respond here or ping me on
IRC/Slack (I'm mbr0wn). Please excuse me if I don't respond
immediately, I'm a little occupied right now, but I'm definitely
interested in getting some help here.

Thanks!

Martin