Re: Gnuradio for Raspberry PI 4 and SDRPLay works well, but need documen

From: Glen Langston
Subject: Re: Gnuradio for Raspberry PI 4 and SDRPLay works well, but need documentation
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 16:39:11 -0500

Hi Robin,

When using the AIRSPY (and mini) this summer I was finding some flashes in the
RF band that
were on for a few 100 micro-seconds, then off.  (The plots are on my home
computer so I’ll
have to send these on Friday).   The fraction of time the flashes are on is
very small, less
than a total of one second in 24 hours.

The spectra from the AIRSPY look very good and the AIRSPY is very reliable in
sending all
data at the 10 MHz bandwidth (20 MHz I+Q samples).   I could see these
transients
even when my horns were pointing at the ground, so were not likely due to
internal sources.

However since my project is looking for transient events, the flashes are an
issue
for me, but would not be noticed at all by most users.

The PlutoSdr does not seem to be generating many (any?) transients internally,
which is very
good. Ie when I point the horns at the ground I get very few/no transients
appear above 5 sigma, compared
to the noise level.

The spectra from the PlutoSDR look good, and I can use a wide range of
bandwidths, but for bandwidths
larger than 3.2 MHz I don’t get all the data captured (I know this by
calculating how long
I should have to wait for all N samples at a given data rate, and measure the
actual time it takes
to get N samples.

The PlutoSDR does not seem to be reliable sending data at rates faster than 3.2
MHz bandwidth
(6.4 MHz I+Q samples).  I think it is sending blocks of data on USB but then
not sending for a while while the data
are buffered in some part of the USB processing.  The PlutoSDR code in GNuradio
does not generate the
Overflow or Underflow letters that other software generates for other devices.
So the rate issues
are probably not noticed by other users of gnuradio-companion.

I’m working on a version of the Gnuradio code that does not generate any plots
and
could run entirely internally on the PlutoSDR.  This might be able to capture
all events
at the full 56 MHz sample rate.

The current code is obtainable by
git clone http://www.github.com/WVURAIL/gr-radio_astro
This requires some building and compiling.   It works for me on the Raspberry
Pi 4 and Odroid N2 (Both with 4GB).

I’ve downloaded and installed some else’s PlutoSDR .dfu
files, that did run gnuradio on the Pluto.  That was working well but I could
not figure
out how to modify it to build my own c++ libraries.   I might try again.

Regards

Glen