Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Request for Wiki update.

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Request for Wiki update.
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 22:42:34 +0200

Hi Hans, hi Glen and Barry and everyone in this thread,

I had a longish answer written out to this, addressing all the things
that I agreed to, and explaining quite a fair bit of where you're
wrong, but I decided to scrap it and reduce it to three bullet points:

1. A very honest: Thank you for the feedback!
We are aware that installation of our ca. 400000 lines of code project
is non-trivial, and that we've been so busy releasing 3.8 that we
couldn't keep up with installation instructions. I'm honestly sorry
about that, but it's not easy on us, either, though we've made stellar
progress in the last couple of years.

2. You (specifically) shouldn't be in a position where you need to
compile things from source code or use PyBOMBS to build it. You want to
use GNU Radio, not develop it itself (for now). New users wanting to
try GNU Radio are the last people I want to compile GNU Radio from
source. That'd be plain stupid. This isn't the 90s.
Unless you really can pinpoint why you need 3.8 instead of the 3.7.13.4
(or .5) that Kubuntu packages, I'd encourage you to just go and install
via `apt install gnuradio`. Many ham-relevant GNU Radio projects have
not even been ported to GNU Radio 3.8+ yet, officially (gr-osmosdr, for
example, but I'm hearing good things about the state of forks of that);
certainly, not getting more people to run GNU Radio 3.8 won't exactly
help that, but since you're clearly in no position to contribute a lot
of code to these at this point, doing your learning on a stable,
universally supported 3.7.13.x doesn't hurt you or the project, I
think.
When Ubuntu finally gets around copying the work that Maitland does for
debian (which already has 3.8 packages), you'll enjoy that, too!

3. As project maintainer, my priorities are making recent GNU Radio
package installation feasible to you, and we have multiple people
working on packaging for different platforms, and on working on
providing regular packages etc. The outlook of making source builds
easier on people that struggle a bit with reading the versioning files
and git usage: VERY desirable, but not high priority for now. If a set
of build instructions is easy enough for a beginner to copy without
mistake, then that set of instructions should become a build script for
a binary package and be upstreamed to the favourite distro of the user,
preferably.

In that effort, I can only ask you to help: If you encounter build
problems, report them in detail.

Best regards,
Marcus